Sunday 5 February 2012

February 5th: 40 years. Who said it wouldn’t last?


My parents have been married for 40 years. 40 funny years!
I have known my parents since I was a young lad and they’ve known me even longer.
My childhood was a very happy one and I believe I was instilled with good morals, good values and most importantly a good sense of humour. I don’t think they would still be together if they didn’t have a laugh with and at each other. You should never underestimate the power of funny.
My Dad laughs at very silly things; he likes the ridiculous, the shocking and the good classic standard joke. I think I got my younger laughs from him. However, having set the rule that nothing and no one was ever beyond being ridiculed, on more than one occasion, Dave has ended up being the butt of the joke. He must realise this. He understands the very rules of comedy, he taught me. Either way he takes it quite well. Nothing fills me with as much pleasure as to see and hear my Dad laugh. He allowed me to watch Billy Connolly, when the British Board of Film Classification suggested otherwise. I would burst out in fits of giggles whenever Dave did, even if I had no idea why I was laughing.
Mum’s sense of humour is much more intellectual and diverse. I would say she has a very classy highbrow sense of the funny. Her problem comes when she starts laughing. This laughter becomes overpowering, this laughter can strike at anytime and is often a long time after whatever she’s laughing at has past. When she does start laughing it’s like a fire at a carpet factory, you try and help but to no avail, it’s best just to sit it out and wait until the end. Mum makes herself laugh even more when she tries to explain why she is laughing.
One of my great joys, as I get older is to be able to make these funny people laugh.
I have known Dave and Anna in many guises over the years; Mother, Father, disciplinarian, teacher, comforter and negotiator. I am currently experiencing the greatest stage of our relationship, friend.
Dave and Anna are great friends of mine, I adore the time we spend together. They were and are great parents and now they are my closest friends.
I cannot imagine the strength and understanding that goes into 40 years of marriage. They are a brilliant example of longevity and I continually strive for their approval.
I wish I could see them more often; I wish I could be more proactive and speak to them on a more regular basis. Whenever I do speak to them they are so positive and enthusiastic about all my endeavours.
I know, when my time comes, I will be a great parent, I can’t fail, I’ve had the greatest teachers
I love you Mum and Dad and I like you even more
Happy 40th Anniversary

No comments:

Post a Comment